Skip to main navigation menu Skip to main content Skip to site footer
×
English | Spanish
Editorial
Current Archives
Conference Abstract

What is the ecoepidemiological and sociodemographic status of Chagas disease in an urban area of San Juan, Argentina?

By
Paz Sánchez-Casaccia ,
Paz Sánchez-Casaccia

Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo-Epidemias (CENDIE) - ANLIS Malbrán, CABA, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Julieta Nattero ,
Julieta Nattero

DEGE (FCEN, UBA), IEGEBA (UBA/ CONICET), CABA, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Florencia Cano ,
Florencia Cano

Ministerio de Salud Pública de San Juan, Programa de Control de Enfermedades de Transmisión Vectorial, San Juan, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Leonardo Díaz Nieto ,
Leonardo Díaz Nieto

Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET). CABA, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Liliana Salvá ,
Liliana Salvá

Ministerio de Salud Pública de San Juan, Programa de Control de Enfermedades de Transmisión Vectorial, San Juan, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Sergio Meli ,
Sergio Meli

Ministerio de Salud Pública de San Juan, Programa de Control de Enfermedades de Transmisión Vectorial, San Juan, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Ana Laura Carbajal-de-la-Fuente ,
Ana Laura Carbajal-de-la-Fuente

Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo-Epidemias (CENDIE) - ANLIS Malbrán, CABA, Argentina

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar

Abstract

Chagas disease is caused by the parasite Trypanosoma cruzi. In Argentina, Triatoma infestans is its main vector. Its occurrence has been documented in rural areas, although currently also in urban areas of the Northwest and Cuyo, including San Juan(1,2,3). With the aim of conducting an ecoepidemiological study in an urban setting, a cross-sectional study was carried out in Villa San Roque, Rivadavia Department, San Juan, during October 2022. Entomological assessments, sociodemographic and social practices surveys were conducted on adult residents of the dwellings that allowed access. High participation was observed (89%, n = 179/201 dwellings assessed), mainly women (57%). 71% of the respondents had an age range between 18-64 years, while the remaining 29% were over 65 years of age. 90% were born in the province of San Juan and 81% were born in urban areas. In the houses infested by T. infestans (n = 20), the most frequent wall materials were ceramic bricks and adobe (40% in both cases); while 65% of the roofs were wood. 55% of the participants had secondary education, the most frequent work activity was self-employment (45%), 50% had applied some insecticide in the last year and 70% had domestic animals. The results show that we are dealing with a complex socio-environmental phenomenon that develops in a densely populated environment. Further studies are essential to better understand the epidemiological status in the urban area and its associated characteristics(4,5)

How to Cite

1.
Sánchez-Casaccia P, Nattero J, Cano F, Díaz Nieto L, Salvá L, Meli S, et al. What is the ecoepidemiological and sociodemographic status of Chagas disease in an urban area of San Juan, Argentina?. SCT Proceedings in Interdisciplinary Insights and Innovations [Internet]. 2024 May 8 [cited 2024 Jun. 16];2:302. Available from: https://proceedings.saludcyt.ar/index.php/piii/article/view/302

The article is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License. Unless otherwise stated, associated published material is distributed under the same licence.

Article metrics

Google scholar: See link

The statements, opinions and data contained in the journal are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publisher and the editor(s). We stay neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.